Sunday, August 10, 2008

Indonesian theme Dinner














Terra Nova's Chefs to the field was today. I was so pumped up on going, but didn't get to because Colin decided to sleep (well, duh!! it was his nap time).
I can't go after 1pm because Sheila was coming to pick me up to go to her house for the making of "Indonesian Dinner Party". I got my ingredients ready for making 2 dishes. A hard-boiled eggs with sambal called "telor sambal belado" and a potato fritter dish called "Begedel".
Sharon and I were to cook with Patrick. According to Sheila, Patrick already started cooking since yesterday.. wow, what dedication!!

So, Sheila picked Sharon and me up and off we went. I started on the boiling the eggs and microwaving the potatoes right away when we got there. Patrick was so good. The kitchen was spotless and I can see that the "lemper ayam" were already done and only needed to be steamed.
Sharon helped me mashed the potatoes and I brought over an indonesian CD also (my one and only.. I don't listen to indonesian songs too much, my favs are english and mandarin songs, so it's a miracle that i even had any indonesian CD).
After much boiling, microwaving, cutting, peeling, chopping, mixing, steaming,dipping, frying and grilling. We were DONE!!!

Since it was an indonesian theme dinner party, it was compulsary to have proper attires.. :) We all wore batik or sarong. I had on my batik dress, which Sharon immediately pointed out was my pj.. thanks Sharon.. hahaha.. Sharon brought over her sarong wrap-around (which she bought from Thailand, so technically, it's not indonesian Sharon!!!), Sheila wore her batik pants (i also owned 2 similar pants, but i found that it's so hard to take off if I want to go to the bathroom), and the men wore a wrap-around sarongs borrowed from Sheila and Patrick. Ava wore the batik top that her grandma made for her, and Colin wore Ava's batik pants that was also grandma-made. Brigit and Marcos arrived after everything's cooked, therefore.. it's EATING TIME.

Everything was DELICIOUS. Patrick was really good at making all the dishes. Oh, the dishes were: Telor Sambal Belado and Begedel (mine), and Patrick's Gado gado (indonesian salad), Chicken Curry, Lemper Ayam (the ones wrapped in banana leaves), Sate Ayam (Chicken satay), Rice, Peanut Sauce, and last but not least, the ginger-tamarind drink that patrick concocted.
So full.......... can barely move...

After eating, we also ate the fruit desserts that Sharon brought. It's the rambutan and nangka (jackfruits). How nostalgic!! It's been almost 2 years since I had any indonesian food.

The kids were playing and running around on the backyard. Ava was doing all that in my heels. you go girl!!! She loves Sheila and Patrick's cat, she kept calling Maya, the cat, CATTY.. I think she meant cat and kitty.. but she just said Catty for short.. such genius, just like her mom. :)

We went home satisfied and full. Thanks Sheila and Patrick for their hospitality.. we should make this a monthly thing, with different theme party each month.. how cool is that????

So, I got home and after all the kids were sleeping and after I FINISHED reading "the kingdom of strange".. YEAP!!! I finished it!!! in 2 days!!! I saw that I got an email back from Shula.. and lo behold.. she did ask for my blog URL.. (panicking now.. what to do??? what to do?? what to do??? breath in and out... ). I was thinking if I should let her know?? should I?? what if my blog's considered as BAD writings???

Actually, when I was reading "the kingdom of strange", I found that I'm so much alike with Thisbe (the main character's name). I wrote down my daily occurings in my blog. The only thing's that different is, hers is private and mine's pretty public. Then, that got me thinking, my blog is on the web, so anyone could have stumbled onto it and read it. So it's not like it's a secret. Then, why should I worry about anyone reading them when it's already been "published" like it is. So, I'll brave myself and send my blog URL to Shula. She can read them and critic them if she wants.. maybe she can even help me.. hahahahahaha.. oopppss.. that means she'll probably read this tomorrow.. hahahahaha.. Hi Shula!! Don't mind my ranting.. :)

Note for Shula: I love "Kingdom of strange", I can't stop reading it because I'm so captivated by thisbe's use of words. She's lovely and so full of vocabs. Makes me wonder if all 9 grader have such vast vocabularies. I always love learning new words and phrases.

My new word of the day, courtesy of Sheila, is Scrupulous. Sheila said,"Elly, you're scrupulous."
and I said ,"what's that mean??". Sheila:" that means you're like a perfectionist, trying to get every part dry". My blog's stalkers probably went: huh?? dry?? Well, she was saying this while I was helping her drying her dishes. And I was trying to make sure that I wiped all the water dry with the cloth.

So, I googled Scrupulous and this is what I got from the merriam-webster online dictionary.
1 : having moral integrity : acting in strict regard for what is considered right or proper
2 : punctiliously exact : painstaking scrupulous care>

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So today your blog made me extra hungry. Also, I laughed very hard at how much like Mom Ava is. By the way your pjs looked very nice and definitely passed as regular clothes.

Anonymous said...

Just like Mom on the run, I'm droolng! Let's do something foody soon, ok? I just learned a new way to make rice and I'm eating it with everything - fish, boiled eggs, chicken, chick peas..mmm.

And I'm so happy that you liked Thisbe - having read some of your messages now, I can see the similarities myself. I don't think that all teens have vocabularies like Thisbe but I watched "Juno" last night and am now quite sure that she has comrades out there...

Love the blog! Keep on posting :-)

rene said...

The men in sarong is hilarious!